Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Film Review - John Carter


John Carter header

So far "John Carter" has been a flop.  To the critics that is.  And to the box office.  But both groups have failed me before, as was the case with Disney's last sci-fi blockbuster "Tron Legacy" which has become a favorite movie of mine.  It always irritates me when people decide what is good or bad before it is even released.  Google "Oscar predictions 2012" and I bet you that more than half of the movies on that list haven't premiered yet and will end up in the Oscars.  The same preconceived perceptions goes for Hollywood's blacklist, and John Carter was added to it long before anyone had seen it.  Perhaps the horrendous marketing is at fault for that.


I can agree with the critics on these points, there were certainly a few confusing (but not entirely important) story elements, there are some cheesy cliche moments and lines of dialogue, and for the most part Director Andrew Stanton failed to evoke the masterful emotion previously conveyed in his films Finding Nemo and Wall-E.

With that said, the story and character elements are all there.  The main character John is very likable with a clear mission and character arc.  The other characters captivate you as well, Dejah, Sola, Tars Tarkus, and Woola are all the archetypal characters included in a good epic adventure movie.  The antagonists are very strong as are their apparent goals.


Visually it is absolutely stunning.  The visual effects and motion capture is phenomenal.  The cutting is excellent as well and contributes surprisingly well to the emotion of the film.  (Especially the battle scene interlaced with flashbacks.) Being a postconversion 3D film, it's really not necessary to see in 3D, although it is a nice touch if you like 3D.


Michael Giacchino has painted an aural masterpiece that brings the world to life.  It  somehow feels like Mars.  While the overall soundtrack is not incredibly complex and varied, the main theme is beautiful and entirely memorable.  Definitely some noticeable hints of "Star Wars" and "Lost" in it.

The moment I decided I wanted to see John Carter was when I heard that the story was first written 100 years ago by Edgar Rice Burroughs (the creator of Tarzan) and that it was the building block of household name epic sci-fi's such as "Star Wars" and "Avatar".  If the core of this story is the archetype for the science fiction genre, I absolutely must see it.  It is a must-see for "Star Wars" fans.

Stanton says* that few movies can do it, but the best ones evoke a sense of wonder.  If you can watch "John Carter" and not feel a sense of wonder, I wonder whether or not you are a human being.  I was transported to a magical place that I wish I could go, I lived a journey that I wish I could live.  That is why you should see "John Carter."

This is one of those films that inspires me to make movies.


John carter footer




*Watch Stanton's recent TED talk here:






1 comment:

  1. Despite occasional moments of silliness, the old-fashioned sense of adventure and brilliantly rendered aliens elevate this above other derivative big-budget sci-fi fare. I still wished that Kitsch did a lot better in this lead role but he was only there for eye-candy really. Good review.

    ReplyDelete