Friday, March 7, 2014

10 Movies You Should be Looking Forward to in 2014


Really these are just movies that I'm looking forward to, but you should too.  I can almost guarantee that these will be the majority of the year's highest grossing films, as well as some of the highest rated (at least on IMdB - Rotten Tomatoes generally sucks).  Here are my picks, starting with least excited (although it's still in my top 10 movies to look forward to!)





10. Exodus -
A freakin' all-star cast: Christian Bale, Aaron Paul, Sigourney Weaver, Ben Kingsley, Joel Edgerton, John Turturro. AND directed by Ridley Scott.  So we can expect incredible acting performances and great directing. At least we know it couldn't be worse (and more pointless) than Prometheus was (because it's not written by Damon Lindelof).



9. Noah -
Darren Aronofsky's retelling of the biblical epic.  I've read the script, and I think it's pretty good. Of course he took some fictional liberty in relation to the original text, and it looks like it's gonna be too overloaded with CGI, but I think he tells an interesting version of the story.



8. Edge of Tomorrow -
Sounds like a cool concept. Plus, I'm a sucker for any sci-fi movie that stars Tom Cruise running around with futuristic weaponry.


7. The Grand Budapest Hotel -
Wes Anderson's latest. As with all of his films, it's bound to be inviting, comical, and unique... well unique from other films, NOT unique from his other films.


6. The Hobbit: There and Back Again -
So we can go to Middle earth in the movie theater and come back again (for the last time).... at least until Peter Jackson decides to turn the Silmarillion into two more trilogies.  I'm certainly not expecting Lord of the Rings quality out of this one, but I do expect it to be the best of the Hobbit trilogy, and being an avid LOTR fan, this one is up there on my list to see.


5. Godzilla -
Normally I would say that another Godzilla movie sounds terrible, but after seeing "Monsters" and being blown away with how great of a movie Gareth Edwards made with half a million and a micro-crew, I'm expecting good things with this one.  In Monsters, he did an incredible job telling a character driven story in the midst of creating a new world of mystery and sci-fi peril. Because of that film, he was hired to direct Godzilla. I think he'll take a similar spin on this one.




4. Guardians of the Galaxy -
This looks hilarious and unique for a super hero film. I'm sick of super hero films, but I look forward to ones that do something different.



3. Unbroken -
Directed by Angelina Jolie. I was sold the moment I saw this video was broadcast at the Olympics. I have a feeling this movie will be incredible... and will possibly pick up some Oscars.



2. Interstellar -
It's Chris Nolan. How could it not be good? He's bound to have a flop someday, but I really doubt this'll be it. (I'd say writing and producing Man of Steel was his flop).




1. How to Train Your Dragon 2 -  I am more excited for this film than I have been for any film since
The Dark Knight Rises (which, unfortunately did not live up to my excitement). I was completely blown away by the preview footage (2 full scenes) that I screened at Comic Con 2013. Director Dean DeBlois promises this to the be the "Empire Strikes Back" of the trilogy. The first How to Train Your Dragon is not only one of my favorite animated films of all time, but also is one of my favorite feature films of all time. I'm guessing part of the reason Pixar pulled "The Good Dinosaur" off of the shelf for this year is because they knew they'd have no competition with HTTYD2. Good move Pixar, because this one is guaranteed to win Best Animated Feature in next years Academy Awards. (Also soundtrack by John Powell will most likely be nominated).


***For your sake, I DO NOT recommend watching any trailers other than this one, as they show massive spoilers*****


BONUS: MOVIES THAT WILL PROBABLY NOT BE THAT GREAT:

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - The first one sucked, this one will too. If you're gonna reboot a series, do something unique with it, and don't make a protagonist that no one likes or cares about.
Transcendence - Directorial debut by Wally Pfister (Christopher Nolan's award winning cinematographer).  I read the script, there's no heart, and a twist that wants me to care, but I don't.
Maleficent - Maleficent? Yes. Magnificent? No.
Transformers: Age of Extinction - It would take a lot to be worse than the last two Transformers films, but I don't see this one making IMdB's top 250.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The 90's are sacred! Let's keep them that way, and start coming up with some more original film ideas.


1 comment:

  1. Great list, Luke! Glad someone else has Unbroken on their radar.

    Side note: Jolie also directed In the Land of Blood and Honey in 2011.

    ReplyDelete