Wednesday, February 10, 2016

16 Movies to Look Forward to in 2016

I'm really concerned about the trend I'm creating here, because it was already too much work to find 16 movies this early on that I'm really anticipating, but alas, I've compiled a list, so that you don't have to! The year 2019 will be 3 movies more difficult! Most films I see I end up rating 6 or a 7 out of 10, and I'm assuming 90% of these films will fall into that rating, but every year there are one or two gems that really stand out. I'm excited to see which ones those end up being. Anyways, here's 16 movies that look great this year in order of my excitement (least to greatest).







16. Race -
Based on the true story of Olympic U.S. athlete Jesse Owens who competed in Germany in the presence of Hitler and the Nazi regime. I'm a sucker for inspirational sports dramas, and on top of that, this guy was one of my heroes as a kid at a time when I loved track and running and did a school report on him, really a magnificent story, I hope the film does it justice. Scheduled to be released February 19.





15. Snowden -

Joseph Gordon Levitt, Oliver stone, biopic, controversial topics? Sounds like Oscar-bait to me. And therefore I probably will watch it but not love it. Regardless, it's on the radar. Scheduled to be released May 13.




14. Kung Fu Panda 3 -

When dream works creates a successful film they try to milk it for all they can, and the King Fu panda series has been thrown into this category, as this is to be the third of six planned films.  On the positive side, I thoroughly enjoyed the first two and am excited to see this one. Jack black is brilliant casting for the role and the soundtracks are amazing! In theaters now.





13. Zoolander 2 -

This will not be a good movie, at least from film standards, but I hope it to be another installment of quotable comedy gold, the way that the first Zoolander was. And I mean the trailer was hilarious, and the ads are equally great. I hope it can break free from the curse of terrible comedy sequels. Working well in it's favor, however, are some of the most brilliant ads and marketing that I have seen for a film. Scheduled to be released February 12.





12. Finding Dory -

Once again, a movie that I do not want to be made, but will watch nonetheless. I love Finding Nemo, it's one of my top 3 favorite Pixar films (along with Toy Story 1 & 2). So naturally, we already know we will get to see the return of some great characters, and beautiful imagery, but hopefully also a story that is actually worth telling. Also, welcome back Andrew Stanton, we've missed you! Scheduled to be released June 17.






11. Zootopia -

I just love animated films too much... and Disney in general. But I'm pretty excited for this one. It's hard to say at this point whether it will be a hit or miss. But it looks funny and fun and I think for now that's enough for me. Scheduled to be released March 4.






10. The BFG -

This was a great fantasy book that I read as a child, and I was a big fan of Roal Dahl, and I'm an even bigger fan of Stephen Spielberg, who is directing, and another magnificent score to come from the brilliant John Williams. Scheduled to be released July 1.





9. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them -

Necessary? No, but really almost none of the films coming out next year are necessary. They're the same franchises over and over. But it's not reused franchises that bother me as much as it is recycled plots and storylines *cough* Marvel* So why not return to the world of Harry Potter for another story? Also, side note, I have yet to attend the Harry Potter section of Universal Florida, so I am really excited for the opening of it here in Hollywood. Scheduled to be released November 18.




8.  Assassin's Creed -

Another movie curse to be broken is the "video games becoming terrible movies curse." And as a gamer, I would love to see that trend come to an end, because there are plenty of video games that would make incredible films. We know very little about this film at this point, but I'm expecting good things. Scheduled to be released December 21.




7. Captain America: Civil War -

I'm sorry for all the Marvel hate, surely it's offended a few of you (I haven't even got to the DC hate yet), I am looking forward to this film. At least because Captain America is my favorite of the Marvel superheroes and it will be a good progression of the MCU as a whole, rather than just as a standalone film with a throwaway plot and forgettable villains. Scheduled to be released May 6.




6. Star Trek Beyond -

Why all the hate? I mean sure, the first trailer wasn't that great, but it also wasn't that bad. Oh you don't like the Beastie Boys song in it? Well need I remind you morons that that song was used in the 2009 Star Trek film? And it was amazing! We're all sad JJ's not back to direct, but we have an amazing cast who haven't failed us in bringing these beloved characters to life in a new way with the past two Star Trek's. I'm not expecting this to match the quality of the others, but I'm still excited and anticipating returning to the Enterprise. Scheduled to be released July 22.


5. Doctor Strange -

I'm so over Marvel. Okay maybe not quite (both of their 2016 films made it in my top ten to see), but close. Age of Ultron really let me down, and reminded me of how unoriginal these Marvel films are becoming (or have been all along), I mean I get it, they are based on the comics, but THESE are not comics, THESE are movies. Really the main reason this one is so high on my list is just because I'm such a huge fan of Benedict Cumberbatch, and being the highly esteemed actor that he is, I don't feel like he would sign on to doing a film that he didn't believe in. So here's to hoping Marvel proves me wrong. I'd like to see another character that blows me away the way that Robert Downey Jr. did when I first saw Iron Man. Scheduled to be released November 4.

4. Jason Bourne - 

Another film that does not need to be made. I mean come on, Ultimatum ended so perfectly. BUT at least it's being made under pretty good circumstances - Matt Damon returns to star, the amazing Paul Greengrass returns to direct, and can we just forget that last one ever existed? Also the super bowl trailer got me very excited to return to one of the best action franchises ever created. #BourneBeatsBond Scheduled to be released July 29.



3. 10 Cloverfield Lane -

What a wonderful surprise it was to wake up Jan 14 and discover that a film I wasn't expecting (no one did) is being released in only two months. Somehow this entire film's production was kept a secret until this trailer premiered. I really have no idea how it will tie in with Cloverfield, but being a huge fan of the original, and a huge fan of every movie from Bad Robot and J.J., I can't wait to see what this is all about. Scheduled to be released March 11.


2. Moana -

Coming from two of the greatest Disney filmmakers comes a new animated film which takes place in the South Pacific, one of my favorite areas to have visited, and I am so excited to see this world explored and I'm sure it will be a beautiful masterpiece full of memorable songs and heart wrenching moments (but seriously, can we stop having every Disney princesses' parents from dying?) Scheduled to be released November 23.




1. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story -

It shouldn't be too much of a shock that another Star Wars film is at the top of my list. The film follows a band of Rebels who retrieve the plans for the Death Star (leading up to A New Hope). It's exciting to see where this film goes as it lives around the timeline that the original trilogy took place, but not being one of the anthology films, we'll get to see another side to the Star Wars universe as there will surely be more creative liberties taken. Also, self-proclaimed Star Wars fan, Gareth Edwards, is at the helm. I certainly trust him with this film, (a heck of a lot more than I trust Rian Johnson and Colin Trevorow with episodes VIII and IX). Scheduled to be released December 16.





Really though, I'm excited for a lot of these films, but topping everything would probably be my excitement for the 2016 Rio Olympics taking place this summer.




Here are some others that didn't quite make my list, but you may be interested in:

Eddie the Eagle
Another Olympic legend.

Risen
I'm guessing this film was made by Christians, but it looks like it might be produced and written a lot better than many other Christian films I've seen.

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi -
Michael Bay films are not typically on my list of films to watch, but this actually looks like a decent film, I'm looking forward to seeing the filmmakers take on these real life events, and I'd love to see John Krasinski in a pretty serious action role.

Hair, Caesar!
New Coen brothers film. Looks borderline Wes Anderson. But maybe that's just Ralph Fiennes fault.

Lost City of Z
An action adventure film based on a book I've heard about a few times now. Should be interesting, but I don't know enough about it to be more or less excited than I am.

The Legend of Tarzan
I don't know what to say, might be cool, might not.

Warcraft
I really want this film to be good, but so far all the footage I've seen has just not compelled me that much. It could be the next fantasy epic series, but my gut feeling is that it's not going to do very well. Regardless, director Duncan Jones, has done some great work, and I'm sure he will continue to do so.

The Jungle Book
Jon Favreau directs a remade classic. Let's hope it's a good one.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Meh. I might watch it someday, I mean the first teaser looked interesting and maybe kind of unique, but that last one really lost my interest. I'm still bitter that they already have another film with a new Batman in it.

Deadpool
This movie is going to do incredibly well, maybe even breaking some records, and sure some of it looks funny, but it looks way to crass for the sake of being crass. Definitely not my cup of tea.

Suicide Squad
Also not my cup of tea. It basically looks like DC's edgier version of Guardians of the Galaxy. Anyone can make a great trailer if they use Bohemian Rhapsody.

Passengers
Sci-fi film with a cast of A-listers.

No comments:

Post a Comment